Friday, April 25, 2008

2008 Ethiopia and Rwanda Trip!

I'm excited to announce that I am again leading a trip to Ethiopia this Summer. Except this time we will take a detour to Rwanda! The dates are July 7th to July 19th. Come and go with us as we visit a hospital for those with leprosy, minister to street kids, hold orphans and basically just walk in footsteps of our Lord & Savior, allowing Him to lead and guide us wherever His people need us.
Please let me know if you'd like to join us! It's always an amazing time..and will impact you eternally!

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

God Doesn't Give Up!

I have such great news. Zimade is going to have the surgery and all is finally well after 2 years since we first met her! This has been such a testimony to me that God ALWAYS finishes what He starts!! Even when I had given up on Zimade, He had not!

Here is the most recent report from the missionary Plastic Surgeon I was connected with who is working with Zimade. They work with Cure International, an amazing organization healing so many children in so many nations, not just physically, but spiritually. I cannot thank you all enough for all the money and prayers you invested in this little girl. I will keep you all updated as her surgery draws near.


I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. It's been an especially busy week (we had a large group of donors visiting--I'm sure in your position in development, you understand).

I agree w/ Blair Summit that she appears to have a venous malformation. In the US, I'd have her get an MRI. I would be surprised if there's an adequate MRI in E Africa, but I'll look in to it. The MRI would be very helpful but probably not worth sending her to the US just to get that.

She's been in AA for about a month and has had 2 injections at Yek 12 Hospital by an Eth plastic surgeon. Not surprisingly, the injxns didn't help.

I recommended surgical excision and reconstruction. As it has not changed in size for 2-3 years, I suggested this can be done at their convenience. The reconstruction will be fairly complex and will likely involve at least 2 operations, so she would need to be here for at least a few weeks.

Her mother is concerned about the school her daughter has already missed so is thinking she'd like to bring her back when she is on break (maybe around December since our hospital will not be open in time for her June break). I did offer the option of having her care at the Korean Hosp (w/ me as surgeon), but for now, she will wait for the CURE Hospital (our new one).

I also told her to contact me (Robel said he'd keep in touch) if it seemed to be getting larger as I may then recommend operating sooner.

As far as the Eth pl surgeon (Yek 12), they were going to keep the clinic appt (should've been yesterday). I certainly gave them the option to cont care with him, but I think she just wanted to let him know they'd be transferring to us. I was supposed to meet last Monday with the head plastic surgeon there (for other reasons; but I was going to discuss her as well) but it was rescheduled for Friday.

I don't know yet what the quality of the Eth plastic surgeons here are (I do know a little about their training--would not be considered adequate by US standards; but, then again, her surgeon may be particularly talented despite the lack of training). Although I would not have recommended any injections (I don't know what they used), perhaps he attempted that b/c he knew how difficult the reconstruction would be.

I sent her your love and regards and told them that the Lord, Jesus, brought us here for Zimade. They both appreciate you very much.

We do this from the overflow of grace that Christ has poured out on us; we, primarily, wish to offer that same grace to these children for true wholistic healing (their souls).