Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Young & Hopeless

The first two days of our time in EThiopia were spent at the HIV orphanage called AHope. The first day was spent at the young orphange where the kids were below age 8 or so. The children here were like most children, except a few had sores all over the faces. We had to watch which ones we painted, whether we painted their faces or their hands because of this reason. They did seem to have a little less energy than children their own age. I believe this was for two reasons...some of them were most likely battling illnesses and also they just seemed to have such little hope in their eyes. We held puppet shows for them and they delighted in being surprised by Chris who was a wounded man in our play/puppet show. Every once in awhile Chris would yell out, "Oh, Woe is Me!" and boy, did he ham it up and it was scare the kids and they would just delight in it. They probably didn't understand one word of the show, but they got that part! We had them up and dancing and jumping rope. Of course, playing soccer...
The next day we went to the "Older" HIV orphans home. These children had even less hope in their eyes. They seemed to understand more fully their plight. We played more soccer and volley ball and loved on the older girls by painting their hands and faces and nails. There was one little girl who had a gorgeous face, but she was so thin and you could see how tired she was. As the day wore on and the team grew busy with the other kids, we forgot about her. As we were getting ready to leave we were invited to walk through and see where the children live and sleep. I invited some of the team to go with me. We walked into one room and observed all the bunk beds and were about to leave again when I finally noticed that frail little girl all balled up sleeping in one of the bottom bunks. It was obvious she was sick. So, we all laid hands on her to pray for her and she did not budge one inch or respond in any way. Nate, one of the single guys began to weep as we prayed. I truly felt the anointing of God fall on us and that little girl and do believe some healing was exchanged through that time of intercession, but we were so sad as we left as she never once responded to us. The nanny said she gets very tired early and goes to bed for the day around 5 PM.
Many of the team wrestled later that day and week with the reality that not only are these kids orphaned, but they also may not live to be an adult...

No comments:

Post a Comment